MTN Subscriber numbers update (8 March 2018)
Long suffering South African based mobile operator MTN (MTN) has posted a profit of R7.7billion for the year ended 31 December 2017 after struggling for a few years due to regulatory issues in one of MTN's biggest markets, Nigeria. Where the Nigerean government fined MTN a massive amount of money for failing to remove/disable numbers which has not been verified with a known address of the users of the sim cards. The instruction to do so by the Nigerian government was an attempt to curb terrorism communication for groups such as Bhoko Haram
So MTN's subscriber numbers? Which countries are their biggest markets?
The chart below shows the latest subscriber numbers for MTN per region. Where a specific country makes up a large part of MTN's total subscribers of 217.2million people the country is shown on its own.
In summary MTN's lates subscriber numbers are as follows:
- South Africa 29500000
- Nigeria 52300000
- Southern and East Africa and Ghana (SEAGHA) 38700000
- West and Central Africa (WECA) 29100000
- Middle East and North Africa (MENA) excl Iran 24300000
- MTN IranCell 43300000
While subscriber numbers are nice to know. Question is what kinds of revenues are earned from the various regions? The numbers below shows the revenue earned per region/country as shown in the pie chart above.
- South Africa R42.5billion
- Nigeria R36bilion
- Southern and East Africa and Ghana (SEAGHA) R20.1billion
- West and Central Africa (WECA) 20.95billion
- Middle East and North Africa (MENA) excl Iran R12.7billion
- MTN IranCell R16.5billion
Let us know what you thought of this article: