Land transport survey results June 2017 to June 2018
Date: 26 Aug 2018
We take a look at the latest land transport survey results and compare income earned from road and rail passengers to that of various products transported via land in South Africa.
We find that the value of mining and quarrying goods shipped via land is by far the highest value goods transported over land in South Africa.
Mining and quarrying products ruling the land transport roost
The line chart below shows the monthly income earned from various land transport activities from June 2017 to June 2018. Mining related products being shipped over land earned by far the most income each month during this time period. On average income earned per month from June 2017 to June 2018 for transporting mining products over land amounted to R4.69 billion a month. This amount is almost 3 times greater than the average amount of income earned from transporting food and beverages.
The summary below shows the average Rand value of income earned per month by the various items transported over land from June 2017 to June 2018:
- Mining and quarrying products: R 4 688 846 154
- Manufactured food, beverages and tobacco products: R 1 895 461 538
- Chemicals, coke, petroleum, rubber, plastic and other mineral products: R 1 104 230 769
- Agriculture and forestry primary products: R 1 045 076 923
- Road passenger transportation: R 770 000 000
- Containers: R 608 000 000
- Rail passenger transportation: R 215 307 692