Blog : 6 August 2016 (Take aways and Fast Foods joints bring in more than site down establishments)
We take a look at the latest results from the Food and Beverages Survey from Statistics South Africa. We will take a look at the total income earned by various establishment types, from selling Food, Drinks and other items (such as cigarettes etc). The results may surprise some...
Income earned from Food Sales
The line graph below shows the Rand value of income earned from food sales by three different establishment types. They are Restaurants and coffee shops, Take-away and Fast Food joints and catering companies. What is clear from the line graph is that both Restaurants and coffee shops and fast food establishments earn way more from food sales than catering companies (it should be noted that catering companies includes bar's and taverns).
From the middle of 2012, income earned from food sales by take-away and fast food places surpassed that of income from food sales by restaurants and coffee shops. And since take-away and fast food joints have continued to earn more money from food sales than restaurants and coffee shops.
Income earned from Bar sales
The line graph below shows the Rand value of income earned from bar sales by three different establishment types. What is clear from the line graph is that there is reversal in the fortunes of take-away and fast food restaurants. It's clear that restaurants and coffee shops and catering companies earn a lot more income from bar sales than take-aways and fast food restaurants.
Restaurants and coffee shops earn by far the majority of the income from bar sales, three times as much as catering companies and 14 times as much as take-aways and fast food restaurants. Catering companies (which includes bars and tavern's), earned just over 4 times as much as take-aways and fast food restaurants from bar sales. This is to be expected as most take-away and fast food establishments dont make a lot of money of drinks (especially not from alcoholic beverages). whereas bars and taverns would have a lot more customers sitting down and enjoying a number of beverages (in particular alcoholic beverages).
Contribution by income type to total industry
From the pie chart above it is clear that food makes up the majority of income earned from the Food and Beverages industry, wit food contributing 85% of total income earned by the industry. Bar sales (beverage sales both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages) coming in a distant second by bringing in 12.9% and other income (cigarettes and other odds and ends sold in these shops) making up the rest with 2.1% of total income earned.